Psalm 90:17

"Let the favor of the Lord our God be upon us and confirm for us the work of our hands; yes, confirm the work of our hands."
Psalm 90:17

Saturday, June 16, 2012

My Home: Honey's Room - Romantic Vintage



Several months ago, my daughter (whom my younger daughter has always called "Honey") picked out a color scheme, fabric, and accessories for a re-do in her room.  If you know me, nothing here happens all at once; it is a progression.  Here are the items she originally chose, and I will show you the final product of our decorating journey:  quite different from the original ideas but, in my opinion, much better.

The next three pictures were her starting point.  The first picture is the inspiration for the wall color.  She also liked the simplicity of the design.


Photo Source Unknown


She liked the pattern on this lamp shade.

 Source:  Lampshade PB Teen


Originally, she chose fabrics with gray, but since the walls and furniture were to be painted gray, she changed her mind.

Source:  Gray Houndstooth - Fabric.com


We started with the wall colors, Benjamin Moore's Ozark Shadows for the accent wall and Shoreline for the other three walls.  Both are gray tones with Ozark Shadows being the darker of the two.  After painting the walls, I made the curtains.  I used solid white cotton duck to make simple lined panels, and I hung the drapes using simple white wooden hardware.   


Next, I painted the furniture we decided to use.  Before the makeover, she had a dark mahogany set passed down from my great-grandmother.  She wanted to go with a vintage vibe, so we took out the dark furniture, and I painted my sister's childhood French provincial set Paris Gray.  The set includes a dresser, mirror, and a night stand. 




Night Stand - Notice the book I chose to style the nightstand:) 




I bought this little bench at a flea market a few years ago.  I painted it Paris Gray also and made a little slipcover out of the same cotton duck fabric I used for the curtains.


She likes to have the bench under a three-prong hanger she keeps by her door.  A great place to throw her purse and shoes when she gets home.




Distressed Legs

This is a desk she has had for years (PB Kids) and the pembroke table, the only dark piece left in the room.  She has a mirror on her closet door and likes to stand here to put on her make-up.

 
For accessories, she chose silver items, mercury glass, and even a small galvanized metal bucket, which is a great catch-all for nail polish.






She came up with the idea to take photos and place in Mason jars with ribbon.  This is a picture of she and my husband when she was 2.  Makes me want to cry that she is so grown up.  She is such a sweet and precious daughter...


And this is a picture of her now with her sweet boyfriend...


 French Provincial Mirror


I wanted to save the best for last, the bedding!  She chose a simple duvet with a duck egg blue pattern along with white ruffled shams and throw pillow, all from PB Teen.  She eventually decided on a damask print black and white fabric.  I made two Euro shams, and they really complete the look she was going for.  We also used a Berkshire Blanket for the foot of the bed.  My girls love these blankets!  They are so soft and the perfect size.



Romantic Ruffle Pillows


The last project is a slipper chair that will be reupholstered in the black and white damask.  It will go in the spot to the right of the dresser.  You will have to use your imagination here, but I will post pictures when I have it completed.


She wants to decorate the walls herself, and as of yet, hasn't decided what to use.  I am glad she will be taking this on because hanging pictures is my least favorite part of decorating.  Plus, I want this room to be her haven, with all the things she loves.  I think she made great choices!  It was so fun to work on this with her.


Linking to:
Please share your thoughts.



10 comments:

  1. Absolutely beautiful! I love the bedding. Thanks for sharing with the newbie party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is like a modern day princess room. Beautiful job!
    Found you at Debbiedoo's :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a sophisticated, grown-up room makeover! Your daughter must be a doll to decorate her room this way! Thank you for sharing the process. Thanks for linking to Debbiedoo's newbie party so I was able to find your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a beautiful room !

    Visiting from the newbie party and I enjoyed this piece very much! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the fabric. What a great room.
    Visiting from Debbie Doos
    Katie-Let's Add Sprinkles

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a sweet room. I love it that your daughter wanted to use inspiration from others to makeover her room. Thanks for sharing at our Handmade Tuesdays party.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cute room. I especially love the little foot stool and the ruffled pillows.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great room...and that book is spot on!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very fun that you had this opportunity to decorate with your daughter. You both have very good taste! Thank you for visiting my blog...I'm following you now on GFC, Linky and Pinterest!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful! Thank you for joining me at Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments! Please share your thoughts.